Friday, March 25, 2011

We Have Seeds

I attended a meeting of the Food Resilience Working Group of Transition Hendersonville last night and came away with loads of seeds from the seed swap that started things off.

I've got acorn squash, sweet basil, shiny black beans broccoli, green dragon bush beans, brussel sprouts, cucumber, leeks, mesclun greens, yellow summer squash, red cherry tomatoes, orange cherry tomatoes, and rich sweetness asian melon. I've got a couple of ways to plot and apportion the garden area - but so far only a couple of folks who've said they're interested. Please RSVP ASAP that you want to share in the garden and whether you are available to begin planning either this Saturday March 26, 3 pm or next Saturday, April 2 at 1 pm. I don't expect that we'll have many meetings, but we must organize somewhat to get started in the right direction. Now is the time to turn the soil so the grass that's there will die before it's time to plant.

Here are pictures of the seedlings I started in my sun room about ten days ago. So far only the sweet peas have popped - and I have more than I need. If you want some, give me a call. I've also already planted some heirloom tomatoes from last year and spinach. Oh, and a sweet onion that I bought at market that began to sprout roots and shoots on its own, so I stuck it in a pot to see what develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment