Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lots of Garden Activity

I can't believe how many times I've been to the garden recently sans camera. What a shame, since the climate seems to have been just right for our crops. The beans (all of them) and squash are visibly growing each day, and we have flowers on our tomato plants!! I think the corn is going in sooner than I expected. Expect contact from your crop leaders to keep after planting, thinning, and maintenance tasks.

I'm posting a photo of the terrific bulletin board designed and constructed by Ross and Karen Akin. What a great team we have!

Also posted below is a photo of a beetle I pulled off one of our tomato plants at the garden today (Actually there were 2 of them. I hate to kill anything, so I only sacrificed one to be able to bring it home and take the picture.) Anyone know what it is and whether we need to do something about this alien species?

And while we're on the subject of pests, everyone's eggplants are becoming infested with bugs. If you look carefully on the underside of the leaves, you'll see tiny white larvae, which I believe then become tiny black voracious eaters. You'll see the top of the eggplant leaves already showing a spotted, mottled look. I've been spraying my eggplant since last weekend with a Safe Insecticidal Soap, but I don't know it it's going to work. I have/had the same problem with eggplant on my deck planted in containers, but not till later in the season. The same critters also love bok choi and pansies, apparently, because I've had to spray those like crazy on the deck also. Any suggestions will be welcome.

The weather report is for the rain to end and warm, sunny days ahead, so let's keep ahead of the weeding. See you in the dirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment